Bestselling Power Bench Grinders in 2021
WEN 4270 10-Inch Two-Direction Water Cooled Wet/Dry Sharpening System
- Features a 10-inch 220 grit sharpening stone and an 8-inch leather-stropping wheel
- Reverse the rotational direction with the simple flip of a switch
- 115 RPM provides maximum precision during sharpening
- Universal jig support allows for compatibility with a wide variety of accessories
- Features an onboard carrying handle, an angle guide, a honing compound, an adjustable water reservoir and a knife-holding jig
DEWALT DW4906 8-Inch Crimped Bench Wire Wheel, 5/8 Arbor, Medium Face, .014-Inch Wire
- Highly specified wire grades are constructed with internal holding plate to ensure consistency and safety
- Constructed for even balance which provides smooth performance
- Wire is 100 percent inspected to meet demanding quality specifications
- Designed with consistent level equilibrium
- Excellence is assured with strict standards and a full assessment to ensure the standards are met
Genesis GBG800L Bench Grinder with Dual Light, 8-Inch
- 1/2 HP Induction Motor for Quiet, Smooth Performance
- Two Flexible Gooseneck Lights
- Adjustable Tool Rests
- Predrilled Heavy Duty Cast iron base
- Includes (1) 36G Wheel, (1) 60G Wheel and Light Bulbs
RIKON Power Tools 80-910 Bench Grinder Stand
- Adjustable Height 28" - 36"
- 2" Diameter Steel post with cast iron base
- Storage for two grinding wheels
- steel top measures 12" x 9 1/4" with 1/2" wide slots for mounting grinders
ATE Tools 6" Electric Bench Top Grinder Power Sharpen Sharpening Blade Grinding
POWERTEC BG600 Bench Grinder, 6-Inch
- Powerful motor maintains wheel speed through tough operations
- Heavy gauge steel base - reduces vibration and improves stability during operation
- Integrated lights for both grinding wheels
- Coolant tray for grinding metal objects
- Large safety shield with magnifier
Sunex Tools (5001A) 6" Bench Grinder with Light
- Bright, flexible work light
- Has two 6-inch grit wheels, coarse 36 and medium 60
- Each wheel has protective spark guard and adjustable eye shield
- Mounting holes and rubber feet
- Built to last
WEN 858WW 8" Crimped Steel Bench Wire Wheel, 5/8" Arbor.011" Wire
- Measures in at 8 inches in diameter with a .6-inch width and a 5/8-inch arbor
- Features .011-inch steel wire bristles
- Machine-crafted design provides balanced performance for maximum consistency during operation
- Compatible with the WEN 4280 Variable Speed Bench Grinder, the WEN 4282 Single-Speed Bench Grinder and the WEN 4286 Slow Speed Bench Grinder
- Universal design fits the majority of 8-inch bench grinders with 5/8-inch arbors
BEAMNOVA Electric Bench Grinder 8 inch Power Grinding Machine 3450rpm 1 HP
- 8" long shafts 1 HP H D Top Bench Buffer Polisher Grinder Cleaner
- Construction: 1 Horse Power Motor; 7 Amp; 3450 RPM
- Two 8" x 1-1/8" Thick Polishing Wheels
- Spindles Thread : 3/4" x 12TPI and 2-5/16" long
- Overall 23" Wide and 9" Tall; Base Size is 8" x 5-3/4"
SHOP FOX M1051 6-Inch Bench Grinder
- Fast starting and cool running for all day performance
- Motor: 1/3 HP, 110 Volt
- Grinding wheel size: 6-Inch
- Arbor: 1/2-Inch
- Grinding wheel width: 1/2-Inch to 3/4-Inch
Review of Bench Grinders for the Home Handyman
This article provides a brief review of several different models of bench grinders designed with the home handyman in mind.
The bench grinder can be used for tasks including polishing, sharpening, deburring, sanding and so on. Its myriad of uses make it a mainstay tool for most home handymen and also makes it perhaps incorrectly used for many tasks. The accuracy of a bench grinder is dependent upon its user and certain tasks such as sharpening a knife on a bench grinder is a hit or miss task that requires a lot of skill.
Bench grinders fit into many categories, but this article will review grinders designed with the home handyman in mind. These 6 inch models are low priced units with ample power for typical tasks, but not considered adequate for heavy duty projects.
First up is the Dewalt DW 756. This unit comes in at 4 amps and has a speed of 3,450 rpm. It weighs a bulky 28.5 lb and is typically priced around $90. The unit operates smoothly and quietly with ample power for most tasks. The tool rests are wide and adjust to any angle. The eye shields are thick plastic and provide ample protection.
Next up is the Delta GR250. This unit packs only 2.5 amps of power but has a variable speed motor that ranges from 2,000 to 3,450 rpm. It weighs in at 25 lb and is priced around $75. This unit features a top mounted lamp and V groove tool rest accessory. The tool rest is adjustable though only to preset detentes. It operates smoothly and quietly though ultimately lacking the power of the Dewalt.
Finally, in the bargain category is the is the Ryobi BGH615. This model pack a mere 2.1 amps and has a single speed motor with a high top speed of 3,600 rpm. It weighs in at 22 lb. It comes with a lamp and V-groove tool rest. The eye shields are clear plastic but small in size. Due to its low power, the wheels take long to come up to speed . Additionally, the tool rests are not adjustable making fine sharpening difficult.
Bench grinders are versatile tools for all do it yourselfers. The three choices above help to provide a comparison of brands and price ranges.
The above models may or may not be discontinued as the makers constantly update their grinders. If so, a comparable model will be available from each company.
Thomas Klenck, "PM Comparison Test: 5 Bench Grinders", Popular Mechanic